A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Stefan Nobis snobis at gmx.de
Tue May 9 04:42:09 EDT 2006

aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

> if anonymous functions are available, they're used in even more
> cases where naming would help

Yes, you're right. But don't stop here. What about expressions? Many
people write very complex expression, that are hard to understand. A
good language should forbid these abuse and don't allow expressions
with more than 2 or maybe 3 operators!

Forbid everything that might be abused and you have a perfect
language?

I like Python and I teach Python, I'm also used to Java and C#. But
one of the best solutions to problems of beginners and not so
brilliant programmers is something like the Dr. Scheme enviroment:
Choose your language level yourself. Everyting (allowed constructs,
error messages,...) will be adjusted to your choosen level. And
experts have all at their fingertips they want and need. Code isn't
blowed up and screwed with workaround for language limitations (that
are aimed at beginners and less capable programmers).

Why only adjust to the less capable people? Give everyone what they
need and want! :)

--
Stefan.