whois info from Python?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu May 4 21:24:10 EDT 2006

I'm looking to get whois information for a given domain from Python.  I'm
mostly interested in record update and creation dates at the moment, but
eventually might want more.  I stumbled upon a couple modules/programs:
rwhois.py and whois.py but neither seems to work.  I can clearly issue a
whois command directly, but I'm hoping there's some module out there that
will do the domain-to-whoisserver mapping and all the output parsing for me.
Any candidates other than the two I've found so far?

Thx,

Skip