python vs perl lines of code

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Wed May 17 20:51:11 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:

> Those samples can be independently verified by any skilled observer at
> another time. This is what distinguishes them from anecdotes, and
> breaks your analogy.

Anyone who has my source files can run the same tests.  The measures are
repeatable and reliable, even if at the moment few can perform them on my
code.  They don't just let anybody walk into the Louvre and cut off a piece
of the Mona Lisa for spectral analysis. :)

Before the days of cheap video, lots of scientific data was gathered by lone
observers recording unrepeatable events.  You build statistics by
accumulating a vast number of such observations over time.

In any case, I never asked for scientific-quality data in the first place.

--
Edward Elliott
UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)