pythoncom and dialog

ChristianHahn privat at christianhahn.de
Fri Nov 10 05:40:10 EST 2006

Hi,

I inherited a piece of code, that doesn't work anymore. It's a
COM-object.
One interface method opens a modal dialog ( OpenDialog() ), with the
other methods one can set the values for a ComboBox or query the input
of the user.

This COM-module is istantiated(?) via
st=win32com.client.Dispatch(..)
within a windows application (btw it's called Prime Front Arena). The
scripting language for this application is Python.

The COM module works fine, when I call it from Excel via VBA or from
python directly.
When I call it from the mentioned application, sometime (not always)
the python statement st.OpenDialog() never returns and the application
is not responding anymore.
In the previous release of this appication this piece of code worked.
In the new release the app now using two threads, one thread for a
log-windows and one thread for all other windows.

I don't know if this a problem with pythoncom or a windows problem (two
threads, modal dialog), but when I debug it seems to me that it get
stuck somewhere in the pythoncom.dll

So

1) Does anyone have any hints for. I'm completly in the dark.
2) How can I compile a debug version of the pythoncom.dll by myself? I
downloaded the Zip-File, but when I try to open an *.dsp file, i get
asked for password (SafeSource)? What's that.

You see my windows skill are limited (but increased dramatically the
last days).

Thanks in advance
Christian