py2exe questions

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Sat Nov 4 12:13:22 EST 2006

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch schrieb:
> In <1162646535.744282.95290 at m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, Jerry wrote:
>
>> Despite what everyone is saying though, I believe that any and all
>> solutions will require that the byte-code be extracted to some
>> directory before being run.
>
> It's not Python bytecode.  The problem is native libraries which are hard
> to run from memory without a real file backing it on some platforms.  A
> pure Python program/package should be possible without temporary files.

py2exe even achives this on Windows.  See http://www.py2exe.org/old/ ,
and look at the section named "The bundle option".  py2exe is able to
load Python extensions (.pyd and .dll) from the zip-archive *without*
extracting them to the file system at all.  It doesn't work for the C
runtime library msvcr71.dll though.

Thomas