py2exe questions

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Fri Nov 3 16:32:36 EST 2006

Doug Stell wrote:
> I have 2 questions about py2exe or any similar utility.
>
> 1. Is it possible to create a single Windows executable that does not
> blow out to a folder full of files and can be called from scripts
> using command line arguments?
>
> 2. If the above can be done, it is possible to hide parts of the
> Python source code from users? These users are software developers,
> but we don't want them to see how the code does what it does.
>
> thanks, doug

py2exe reduce the number of files you need to distribute down to 4:

msvcr71.dll
w9xpopen.exe  (Windows/98 support)
library.zip (all .pyo, .pyd, and .dll files)
applcation.exe

I does not however go to great lengths to "hide" the code from
someone with time/expertise that wants to get to your code
(but then just about anything can be disassembled).  The compiled
.pyo files are just placed in library.zip.  At least it doesn't
send your .py files along.

-Larry