WSDL?

soring at gmail.com soring at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 00:58:38 EST 2006

WSDL is a way to describe a webservice (using a XML dialect) in terms
of: operations (that have input and output messages) and endpoints (the
actual URL to access the webservice).

When you accessed your other guy's URL, the "XML API description" you
got back was the actual WSDL. So it wasnt' that the URL he gave you was
the WSDL, but the actual XML.

SOAP is another XML dialect: one sends SOAP messages to the enpoints
defined in a WSDL to access a webservice. Usually, the messages defined
in a WSDL are the same as the SOAP body part.

So WSDL is a very strict way to define webservice APIs, and it covers a
lot of aspects of webservices (it has extensions for transactions,
security, reliable messaging, etc).

By contrast, XMLRPC is a much more loose standard to send data around
the web in XML format - it doesn't attempt to regulate too many aspects
of webservices, so it's easier to understand and use to start with.

To answer your first question as well: to use WSDL for in-house
communication sounds like a lot of overkill to me - but on the other
hand, if you ever plan to externalize that data (say your company
decides to publish some internal module X as a webservice), than it's
good to use WSDL to start with.

This is the theory :-) Before deciding what standard to use, make sure
that your programming language/framework supports it well, otherwise
it's no fun.

Sorin