how to print pdf with python on a inkjet printer.

Leo Kislov Leo.Kislov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 03:54:02 EST 2006

krishnakant Mane wrote:
> hello all.
> I am developing an ncurses based python application that will require
> to create pdf reports for printing.
> I am not using py--qt or wx python.
> it is a consol based ui application and I need to make a pdf report
> and also send it to a lazer or ink jet printer.
> is it possible to do so with python?
> or is it that I will have to use the wxpython library asuming that
> there is a print dialog which can open up the list of printers?
> if wx python and gui is the only way then it is ok but I will like to
> keep this application on the ncurses side.

Assuming you are on a UNIX-like system, you really need to setup CUPS
<http://www.cups.org/> (or may be your system already provides CUPS).
PDF seems to be the future intermediate format for UNIX printing
<http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/18/2114252> and CUPS already
supports printing PDF files, just run "lp your_file.pdf" to print a
file. CUPS only have command line interface:
<http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.html>

  -- Leo