WSDL?

soring at gmail.com soring at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 20:30:42 EST 2006

CORBA may work fine in an intranet environment, where you can control
the server and the client, but it clearly failed to be a popular choice
on the internet: have you seen any company offering webservices with a
CORBA interface??
The main 2 choices that companies offering webservices seem to have are
REST (Yahoo, Amazon, Google) and SOAP (Amazon, Google).

And no, SOAP is not a Microsoft thing anymore: it's a standard
supported by a lot of large companies (and neither Amazon nor Google
are Microsoft shops, as far as I know).
The reason SOAP moved away from the pure RPC model is because it needed
to support the more modern and flexible distributed computing paradigm
which is "message based", not "RPC based".

But yeah, I fully agree that SOAP is very complicated, and the support
for it is pretty poor.

Sorin