NEWBIE: Script help needed

Nick Vatamaniuc vatamane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 03:42:23 EST 2006

If the other commands work but 3) doesn't, it means there is something
different (wrong?) with the command.

So try running 3) ,  then one of the other ones and see the difference.

The getCommandOutput() , I suspect,  just waits for the data from the
actual command and the command is not returning anything. It could be
because it just takes way too long (I am not familiar with Gentoo, so
not sure if emerge world takes 1 second or 24 hours...) or perhaps the
"emerge -uvp world" stops at some point and is waiting for input (a
command prompt like "are you sure you want to do this [Y/n]?"

For more in depth on subprocesses in Python take a look at the
subprocess module:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

Hope this helps,
Nick V.