NEWBIE: Script help needed

Lorenzo lorenzo at excitement.com
Sat Nov 4 15:58:29 EST 2006

I have this script that I want to use weekly to send me email with
information regarding disk space and available upgrades for my system.
This script is actually a learning tool for me as I learn Python. The
problem I've run into has me stumped and I need some help. What happens
is when the script runs it does these things, parses the result and
appends that to an html string:

1) checks disk space by using df -t reiserfs
2) runs time emerge --sync
3) runs emerge -uvp world
4) runs emerge -uv --fetchonly world

The 'emerge' command is a Gentoo specific one. If I remove step 3),
everything else runs just fine, the email is sent and I receive what I
expect. But when step 3) is allowed to run, even if its the only command
that runs, it hangs somewhere in the function getCommandOutput. If I try
and debug the command, it appears to hang on this line:
err = child.wait()

I suspect a race condition, but I'm not sure how to proceed, can someone
lend me a hand. Here is the script I wrote, I got the command
getCommandOutput from this site:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52296
TIA

[code]
#!/usr/bin/python

################################
### NEED TO RUN THIS AS ROOT ###
### EMERGE SYNC REQUIRES THIS ###
################################
import os, re, smtplib, MimeWriter, mimetools, cStringIO, popen2, fcntl,
select, pdb

cmd = 'df -t reiserfs'
finalList = []
theOutput = []

text = "This realy should be in HTML"

html = "<html>\
<head>\
charset=iso-8859-1\">\
</head>\
<BODY><BR><font color='green'><em>Disk Utilization on
Hedley:</em></font><BR>"

out = cStringIO.StringIO()
writer = MimeWriter.MimeWriter(out)
txtin = cStringIO.StringIO(text)

def createhtmlmail (html, text, subject):
         """Create a mime-message that will render HTML in popular
      MUAs, text in better ones"""
   import MimeWriter
   import mimetools
   import cStringIO

   out = cStringIO.StringIO() # output buffer for our message
   htmlin = cStringIO.StringIO(html)
   txtin = cStringIO.StringIO(text)

   writer = MimeWriter.MimeWriter(out)
   #
   # set up some basic headers... we put subject here
   # because smtplib.sendmail expects it to be in the
   # message body
   #
   writer.addheader("Subject", subject)
   writer.addheader("MIME-Version", "1.0")

   writer.addheader("From", "Hedley at myserver.com")
      writer.addheader("To", "lorenzo at myserver.com")
   #
   # start the multipart section of the message
   # multipart/alternative seems to work better
   # on some MUAs than multipart/mixed
   #
   writer.startmultipartbody("alternative")
   writer.flushheaders()
   #
   # the plain text section
   #
   subpart = writer.nextpart()
   subpart.addheader("Content-Transfer-Encoding", "quoted-printable")
   pout = subpart.startbody("text/plain", [("charset", 'us-ascii')])
   mimetools.encode(txtin, pout, 'quoted-printable')
   txtin.close()
   #
   # start the html subpart of the message
   #
   subpart = writer.nextpart()
   subpart.addheader("Content-Transfer-Encoding", "quoted-printable")
   #
   # returns us a file-ish object we can write to
   #
   pout = subpart.startbody("text/html", [("charset", 'us-ascii')])
   mimetools.encode(htmlin, pout, 'quoted-printable')
   htmlin.close()
   #
   # Now that we're done, close our writer and
   # return the message body
   #
   writer.lastpart()
   msg = out.getvalue()
   out.close()
   print msg
   return msg

def makeNonBlocking(fd):
    fl = fcntl.fcntl(fd, fcntl.F_GETFL)
    try:
   fcntl.fcntl(fd, fcntl.F_SETFL, fl | os.O_NDELAY)
    except AttributeError:
   fcntl.fcntl(fd, fcntl.F_SETFL, fl | fcntl.FNDELAY)

def getCommandOutput(command):
    theOutput = []
    child = popen2.Popen3(command, 1) # capture stdout and stderr from
command
    child.tochild.close()             # don't need to talk to child
    outfile = child.fromchild
    outfd = outfile.fileno()
    errfile = child.childerr
    errfd = errfile.fileno()
    makeNonBlocking(outfd)            # don't deadlock!
    makeNonBlocking(errfd)
    outdata = errdata = ''
    outeof = erreof = 0
    while 1:
   ready = select.select([outfd,errfd],[],[]) # wait for input
   if outfd in ready[0]:
       outchunk = outfile.read()
       if outchunk == '': outeof = 1
       outdata = outdata + outchunk
   if errfd in ready[0]:
       errchunk = errfile.read()
       if errchunk == '': erreof = 1
       errdata = errdata + errchunk
   if outeof and erreof: break
   select.select([],[],[],.1) # give a little time for buffers to fill
   err = child.wait()
    if err != 0:
   raise RuntimeError, '%s failed w/ exit code %d\n%s' % (command, err,
errdata)
    theOutput.append(outdata)
    theOutput.append(errdata)
    return theOutput

#Run df and get the disk info
output =  os.popen(cmd)

# match two or more spaces, the header line has a sngle
# space between the 'Mouted on' field
# We need to keep those together
# The other spaces are the separation in the field headers
# To get the output from df down to just the field headers
# and the data, we need to match 2 or more spaces
# -1 eliminates the \n at the end of output.
# We'll get it back when we write each line to the
# mail message, I suspect

html += "<font color='blue'>"

for lines in output.readlines():

   p = re.compile('\ +')
   formattedText = p.subn('      ', lines[:-1], 5)
   html += formattedText[0] + '<BR>'

html += "</font>"

mydata = getCommandOutput("time emerge --sync")

p = re.compile('\ +')
p.subn(' ', mydata[1])[0]
p = re.compile('\n')
string = (p.subn('<BR>', mydata[1]))[0]

html += "<BR><BR><em><font color='green'>Sync Time: " + "<BR>" +

mydata = ""
mydata =  getCommandOutput("emerge -uvp world")

p = re.compile('\ +')
(p.subn(' ', mydata[0]))[0]
p = re.compile('\n')
html += "<font color='blue'>" + (p.subn('<BR>', mydata[0]))[0] +
"</font>"

try:
   getCommandOutput('emerge -uv --fetchonly world')
   html += "<font color='Green'><em><BR>Fetch completed
successfuly!</em></font>"
except RuntimeError:
      html += "< font color='Red'><BR>******Fetch did not complete
successfully!*********</font>"

html+= '</BODY> </HTML>'

out = cStringIO.StringIO()
writer = MimeWriter.MimeWriter(out)
txtin = cStringIO.StringIO("This should be in HTML")
subject = "Emerge info and disk utilization on Hedley"
message = createhtmlmail(html, text, subject)
server = smtplib.SMTP("hedley")
server.sendmail('Hedley at myserver.com', 'lorenzo at myserver.com', message)
server.quit()
[/code]

--
"My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
--The Full Monty