How to choose the right GUI toolkit ?

Jussi Salmela tiedon_jano at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 17:50:34 EST 2006

John Henry wrote:
> BTW: I did a search and found the testnotebook example from:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pythoncard/testNotebook.zip?download
>
> and tried it out.  There is one error in the widget.py that I have to
> get around.  Changed from:
>
>         canvas.setFillColor('gray')
>
> to:
>
>         try:
>             canvas.setFillColor('gray')
>         except:
>             pass
>
> and then ran it.   Works!
>
> So, yes, you can do Notebook in Python.  I believe what they are saying
> is that Notebook isn't supported fully (yet) in the resourceeditor.

It's true that the notebook and grid components of wxPython are not
completely integrated into PythonCard but they can still be used quite
easily once you figure out how.

The process of figuring out can be made easier by a working example. The
real life application Blood Pressure Monitor

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/operator/BPMDownload.html

can be used as an example of using the notebook, grid and htmlwin
widgets in PythonCard.

I use this application to input the pressure values I've registered with
my own meter and to produce a PDF page with PyChart to hand to my doctor
to inspect when I visit him twice a year.

Cheers,
Jussi

--
Jussi Salmela