Compiling python 2.5 on OS X 10.4.8 with bsddb support

Yi Qiang yqiang at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 16:49:50 EST 2006

Hi guys,
I am trying to compile python 2.5 on my OSX machine so it includes the
bsddb module.  Currently, when I type 'import bsddb' I get the
following traceback:

/Users/yi/Software/sage-1.4.1.2/local/lib/python2.5/bsddb/__init__.py
in <module>()
     49         from bsddb3.dbutils import DeadlockWrap as _DeadlockWrap
     50     else:
---> 51         import _bsddb
     52         from bsddb.dbutils import DeadlockWrap as _DeadlockWrap
     53 except ImportError:

<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: No module named _bsddb

I have the db3 and db4 packages installed from macports.  What else
must I do to get this working?

Thanks,
Yi