object data member dumper?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Nov 7 21:40:18 EST 2006

tom arnall wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>

>>Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

>>>What are "object data members" ? (hint: in Python, everything is an
>>>object - even functions and methods).
>>>
>>>What is your real use case ?
>>
>>Basically it sounds like the OP wants to see the attribute values for an
>>object (and those objects' attribute values, ...). Presumably the
>>recursive descent could be stopped at the built-in types.
>

> Yes, exactly. But what is 'OP'?

"original poster" (you)

>>I'm not familiar with any such thing.
>

> I'm amazed that there is no way to easily look at the fundamental data
> structures of a python program. I'm new to python - is there something I
> don't know about the territory in this regard?

Well, new enough to be unaware that Python normally doesn't need such
drastic measures for debugging. When you are building complex data
structures such a form of output could get big really quickly. I've
never come across anything like it in any other language that I have used.

The most that's usually required is a __repr__() method that dumps the
values of necessary data attributes.

>>The code of the standard library's
>>pprint module might be a good place to start
>

> I played around with this but it seems more targetted to looking at python
> objects as opposed to user-defined.

It is, but it could be used as a basis for something more to your liking.

>>(and the suggested
>>functionality might make a nice addition if we could work out exactly
>>what the requirement was).
>

> I would be glad if people would comment on my example as a step in this
> direction.

I'd suggest you instead consider a mixin object that will add recursive
data dump functionality to any such classes you require.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119