Will GPL Java eat into Python marketshare?

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Wed Nov 15 17:15:54 EST 2006

"walterbyrd" <walterbyrd at iname.com> writes:

> Some think it will.
>
> Up untill now, Java has never been standard across different versions
> of Linux and Unix. Some think that is one reason that some developers
> have avoided Java in favor of Python. Now that Java has been GPL'd that
> might change.
>
> IMO: it won't make much difference. But I don't really know.

Short answer: People use Python instead of Java because people (at
least intelligent people) tend to avoid pain.

Long answer: Changing licenses doesn't magically change Java's
architecture.  It is still a closed world of reinvent-the-wheel,
my-way-or-the-highway.  Which is antithetical to Python's promiscuous
interface-with-anything approach.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture