Multithreaded C API Python questions

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid
Thu Nov 9 14:11:29 EST 2006

Svein Seldal wrote:
> robert wrote:
>> PyGILState_Ensure/Release guarantees to establish the GIL - even if it
>> was already held (useful if you deal with complex call
>> ordering/dependencies)
>
> I understand this to mean that I dont need to explicitly lock the GIL
> (with PyEval_AcquireLock() or PyEval_AcquireThread()).
>
> Well I cant figure out the PyGILState_Ensure() because if I only use
> this function to establish the GIL, when calling python, python will
> shortly after crash with "Fatal Python error: ceval: tstate mix-up".
> This happens consistently when the main app and the extra thread has
> called python and both are busy executing python code.

Do did't tell enough to see what you want to do on the big picture.

usually you create a thread through Python.
If you boot Python at all from C you have to do
PyEval_InitThreads
or maybe more simple use the high level layer PyRun_...

If you boot a new Python thread manually or a separated interpreter (with separated module state) from outside
the you have to also do:

(PyInterpreterState* PyInterpreterState_New() )
PyThreadState* PyThreadState_New( PyInterpreterState *interp)
void PyEval_AcquireThread( PyThreadState *tstate)

If you are already in a Python thread but don't for some reason not know the current thread state:
PyThreadState* PyThreadState_Get( )
but usually you release with PyThreadState* PyEval_SaveThread( ) / Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS

>> PyObject_CallObject(...)     calls Python code. Thus the interpreter
>> will switch and do as usuall during that.
>
> BTW What do you mean by switch?

the automatic scheduling every sys.getcheckinterval() etc.. you mentioned
You'd only have to take care for that, if your C-code does things (e.g. calling python basic funcs) for a long time and doesn't release the lock with Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS ...

> The main problem is that not done this way, it's the other way around.
> My main C app will call a python function which will be a lengthy time
> consuming process.
>
> The main C app will call python and it will never return from
> PyObject_CallObject(...), while the extra thread should call a py
> function to deliver occational messages into C.

Maybe simply boot Python in the main thread (Py_Initialize( )) and run off Python possibly as simple as PyRun_String
and let Python do thread.start_new(...)
You'd not have to worry much about states.

( and later you'd probably even more simple do "python myapp.py"  and expose your C app as extension module :-) )

-robert