Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Nov 10 05:23:46 EST 2006

Robin Becker wrote:
> Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
>> Robin Becker wrote:
>>
>>> I think it uses sysv semaphores and although freeBSD 6 has them
>>> perhaps there's something I need to do to allow them to work.
>> IIRC, you need to explicitly configure loading the kernel module, or
>> compile the kernel with the necessary option in the config file.
>>
> I tried loading the module, but it seems already to be in the kernel.
> Probably some sysctl stuff to do.

In fact the semaphore modules are built in now. I did some debugging and the
error happens in the code at SemSet.c line 25

   for (i = 0; i < sets; i++) {
     int id = semget(IPC_PRIVATE, MAX_SYSV_SET_SIZE, IPC_CREAT
             | S_IREAD | S_IWRITE); //SEM_R | SEM_A);
     if (id == -1) {

the first semget(i=0) succeeds and the second fails with an errno ENOSPC which
from the man page implies a resource issue of some kind.

     [ENOSPC]           Insufficiently many semaphores are available.
     [ENOSPC]           The kernel could not allocate a struct semid_ds.

I guess the freebsd limits  must be different to the original development
environment.
--
Robin Becker