Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Nov 14 07:01:05 EST 2006

On 2006-11-13, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Michael Hobbs <mike at hobbshouse.org> writes:
>
>> To be clear, this is the actual thrust of my argument. It seems
>> redundant to have *both* line continuations and colons in compound
>> statements.
>
> Why are you trying to remove redundancy?

Why not? My impression is that removing redundancy is considered
a positive thing here in c.p.l.

> The language is designed for
> communication between people (programmers) primarily. Redundancy is
> often the best way to be explicit and readable.

Except if you argue for blockmarkers. Then you get the response
that indentation is clear enough and such markers are redundant.

And there have been other subjects where redundancy was seen
as something negative.

--
Antoon Pardon