Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Nov 15 05:53:21 EST 2006

On 2006-11-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:22:46 +0000, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>>> Redundancy is not something to be valued for its own sake. It is only
>>> valuable when it actually gains you something.
>>
>> In the same way it is not something to be eliminated for its own
>> sake.
>
> On the contrary, redundancy implies more work somewhere: e.g. more work
> for the parser, more effort needed by the python-dev crew, bigger
> binaries, larger code bases, more complex test suites, slower development,
> longer downloads. Whatever the nature of the redundant thing, there will
> be a cost to it. If that cost isn't outweighed by some advantage it should
> be eliminated merely because it is redundant and therefore a cost we could
> do without.

It you want to put it in those terms fine. It doesn't change the fact
that when someone doesn't like some proposal that happens to introduce
redundancy here in c.l.p, there is a reasonable chance that the proposal
will be dismissed with the simple observation that it introduces redundancy
without further reference to possible costs or benefits of the specific
redundancy.

IME there is a lot of redundancy that has benefits. So there is no
reason to dismiss a proposal simply on the grounds that it introduces
some redundancy. Something that seems to happen a lot here.

--
Antoon Pardon