RAW network programming under Windows

billie gnewsg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 15:38:37 EST 2006

RAW network programming under Windows it's not always possible because
of the security limitations that microsoft introduced in the latest
Windows versions and that affects WinSocket API.
On UNIX systems I'm able to freely send raw packets (for example I'm
able to compile IP packets with a src address defined by me) through
raw socket API, but if I do the same on a Windows system socket module
raises an error.

Now I'm searching for something different from raw socket api, an
extension module able to send arbitrary RAW packets through the
network.
I noticed that WinPcap (http://www.winpcap.org/) has a function to do
that (pcap_sendpacket()) so I started to search a Python wrapping for
WinPcap.
I found:
pcapy: http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html
pypcap: http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/pypcap/
...but none of them include a wrap for pcap_sendpacket() function.

Does someone know if exist a *complete* Python wrapping of WinPcap
library?