Programmatically replacing an API for another module

stephen04 at tiscali.co.uk stephen04 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 18:28:12 EST 2006

Tom i think i know what you are talking about. If i do then i have recently
had to deal with something similar.

One approach could be to create a module that acts as an interface between
your code and the api whos functions you wish to use.

The interface would consist of wrapper functions for all of the functions
you wish to use. This interface will only include the wrappers for the api
functions you will actually use.

Now you have created the interface you will need to import the module whose
functions you want to wrap up in the interface.

At this point you can either import a stub or the real thing. The code
snippet would look like this

try:
     import stub_api as api
except:
     import real_api as api

def get():
     return api.get()

.....................etc

So when you are testing you make sure that the stub_api module is available
to the interface, the try will succeed and you will call stub functions. If
you do not make the stub_api available then the try will fail, the exception
will be handled by importing the real_api. In either case functions will be
callable by using the api. as you have effectively renamed what is being
imported to api.

The advantages of this are that you only make visible to your code the
fuctions of the api that you are going to use. And you are isolating changes
to code to the interface only.

Ok hope this helps.

Steve

news:agb4m25v0o0silbl788qc6jqvk2kran4lv at 4ax.com...