Vim/Python Help

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Nov 9 13:08:40 EST 2006

> I am just getting into python and am trying to learn how to use the
> python.vim script.  I really like the fact that it autoindents for me while
> inserting defs etc, but how do I move my cursor to back to outer block (say
> at the end of a def) to continue with writing next def while still in insert
> mode?  Right now I have to get out of insert mode to do this....very
> annoying!

If I understand what you're wanting, it sounds like you want an
exdent sort of command.

Vim provides two variants within insert mode:

1) just plain control+D will exdent one 'shiftwidth'

2) typing a zero followed by a control+D will exdent you to the
far left margin

You can read more in the help at

	:help i_CTRL-D
	:help i_0_CTRL-D
	:help i_^_CTRL-D

(that last variant is more helpful for C/C++ coding than for
Python, but it's nice to know it's there)

For future reference regarding vim related questions, I highly
recommend the vim mailing list, which you can find at www.vim.org
which is almost pure content (very high S/N ratio) and gives the
python ML a run for its money in terms of fast & accurate responses.

-tkc