pyxpcom

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Tue Nov 28 12:51:13 EST 2006

hg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can one tell me what the status of this project is ?. I did google ...
> but not much out there.

PyXPCOM source is in the main Mozilla CVS tree. It is being maintained by Mark
Hammond (the original developer of the extension). There isn't a lot of
activity on it, I think, because:
1. Mark did such a good job of implementing it the first time around that it
needs very little work :)
2. It is very high learning curve to get into playing with PyXPCOM because
there are no conveniently packaged builds of PyXPCOM for current (or any)
versions of Firefox or Mozilla.

Interestingly, Mark is currently working *full* support for Python in the
Mozilla code base, i.e. being able to use Python anywhere you can currently
use JavaScript (in <script> tags in XUL and HTML). Look for "nsdom" and
Python. Note that it is still very much in development phase, is only part of
the Mozilla trunk (I believe) -- hence only really applies to Firefox versions
well beyond FF2.

The pyxpcom mailing list is here:

PyXPCOM is heavily used in Komodo
(<http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/>, the IDE that I work on at
ActiveState).

Regarding #2 (from above): Mark started some discussion a while back about the
  what it would take to provide builds of PyXPCOM. The answer is that it would
probably be very hard.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/pyxpcom/3167613

Cheers,
Trent