modules and generated code

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Wed Nov 15 12:33:26 EST 2006

J. Clifford Dyer wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it sounds like you are
> over-complicating the idea of inheritance.  Do you just want to create a
> subclass of the other class?

Nope, that isn't my problem.

I have an IDL file that is used to generate a set of stub and skeleton
code that is not human-modifiable.

Eventually I would like to have my IDL in source control and have a
setup script able to generate my stubs and skels and install them for me.

At the same time I want to produce code that uses this code but in the
same package.

In Java or Perl I can easily create a couple package/module like this:

package org.mine.package;

[...class definitions...]

and then somewhere else

package org.mine.otherpackage;

[...class definitions...]

These can be compiled into separate Jar files and just work.

Since the python is the final target though I don't want to put it all
in one directory because then I need to be clever when I regenerate the
generated code, I don't want old python modules lying around that are no
longer in the IDL. Blowing the entire generated directory away is the
best way of doing this, so I don't want my implementation code in there.

Basically, I want the same top-level package to have bits of code in
different directories, but because Python requires the __init__.py file
it only picks up the first one in PYTHONPATH.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, my brain is already toast from
meetings today.