A python IDE for teaching that supports cyrillic i/o

Kirill Simonov xi at gamma.dn.ua
Sat Nov 18 14:01:04 EST 2006

Hi,

Could anyone suggest me a simple IDE suitable for teaching Python as a
first programming language to high school students?  It is necessary
that it has a good support for input/output in Cyrillic.

Unfortunately, most IDEs I tried failed miserably in this respect.  My
test was simple: I've run the code
    name = raw_input("What's your name? ")  # written in Russian
    print "Hello, %s!" % name               # in Russian as well
both from the shell and as a standalone script. This either caused a
UnicodeError or just printed invalid characters.

For the record, I've checked IDLE, PythonWin, Eric, DrPython, SPE, and
WingIDE.  The only ones that worked are WingIDE and IDLE (under Linux,
but not under Windows).

Thanks,
Kirill