--enable-shared, how do i set the rpath?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 27 03:53:05 EST 2006

Mark Harrison schrieb:
> I've built a python with --enable-shared in order to support mod_python,

Why do you think you have to build with --enable-shared to support
mod_python? I'd try to avoid --enable-shared if possible. It
has undesirable consequences...

> but now I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $prefix/lib.

... this being one of them. Actually, if you can pass -Wl,-rpath
correctly to the linkage of mod_python, you don't need
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, unless you move libpython2.5.so around.

> Worse, it seems mod_python will die on some import statements,
> I'm suspecting ones that need to pull in .so's.

You should inspect sys.path to find out whether it ought to find
those modules.

Regards,
Martin