cPickle problems

Jeff Poole korvus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:21:34 EST 2006

This is going to be a pretty vague message because it involves a large
block of code I'd rather avoid posting.  Basically, I've been pickling
a dictionary of instances of a class I've created (which contains
references to other instances of other classes).  At some point in the
last few weeks, pickling has stopped working with the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./generateTools.py", line 50, in ?
    proj.findVHDLfiles("vhd")
  File "/cygdrive/c/fpga/tools/FPGAProject.py", line 630, in
findVHDLfiles
    cpickle.dump(filenameToClassDic,pickleFile,PICKLE_FILE_PROTOCOL)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy_reg.py", line 83, in _reduce_ex
    dict = getstate()
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

Does anyone have any idea why this might be failing in this way?  It's
driving me crazy.  If need be I can probably provide the code to the
class, though it's about 1000 lines, most of which is PyParsing code.
I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Jeff