Learning Python

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 06:31:57 EST 2006

On 6 Nov 2006 03:12:34 -0800, kaushal <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2:54 pm, "Jorge Vargas" <jorge.var... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi kaushal,
> >
> > > Look intohttp://diveintopython.org. Dive into python is a really
> > > readable ebook...enjoyEven though that's a great book I don't recomend it for non
> > programmers I think thishttp://docs.python.org/tut/is a better way
> > to start
> >
> > also I'll suggest you start learning other programming languaje before
> > python or else this will be the only one you will code :)
> >
> > > --
>
> Hi
>
> Just wanted to know how is this URL
> http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

Dear Kaushal,

I was going to recommend exactly that one. That is a very nice book,
clearly written, not patronizing (some begginers books seem to fall
easily into the patronizing mode), and covers a lot of ground.

I think dive into python is a great book, but not the best choice if
you have no programming experience. I also think that the tutorial by
Guido van Rossum is not the best place to start if you have no
programming experience.

You can also go to:

http://www.python.org/doc/

and, in particular,

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers.

If you are looking for a "book I'll pay money for", I'd recommend
"Core Python Programming", by Chun. It's a thick book, which will keep
you busy for a while, and assumes some programming experience. It may
be a good place to go _after_ you've gone through "How to think like a
computer scientist" and, probably, have looked at some other material.

Good luck,

R.