Python v PHP: fair comparison?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Nov 15 19:35:20 EST 2006

walterbyrd a écrit :
> Michael Torrie wrote:
>

>>Absolutely false.  Most of my standalone, command-line scripts for
>>manipulating my unix users in LDAP are written in PHP, although we're
>>rewriting them in python.
>>

> I would say that you are one of very few who use PHP for sys-admin
> tasks - and even you have switched to Python. In general, it does not
> seem to me that PHP has caught on as a sys-admin language.
>
> However, as sys-admin scripting langanges go, I would also say that
> Python is far less popular than butt-ugly Perl. Again - just based on
> what I've seen.

Perl is a scripting language. By 'design'. It's meant to be a better
sh+sed+awk. Python is a general purpose programming language meant to
fill the gap between shell scripts and C programs. So Perl is obviously
a better scripting language than Python. The problem is that Q&D
sys-admin scripts tend to become full-blown apps - and then, Perl starts
to suck.