BaseHTTPServer - getting POST parameters

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 16:36:41 EST 2006

Vlad Dogaru wrote:

> After experimenting for a while, I am still not able to find where the
> POST data is in the BaseHTTPRequestHandler class. I am trying to write
> a very simple HTTP server for a project of mine and I need to get the
> POST data. Certainly I am missing something, as it is a comon task.

The way I've done this previously is to access the rfile attribute on
instances of the BaseHTTPRequestHandler class, since this provides the
body of each request (where POST data comes from) as a stream. Data
read from the stream can be processed by things like cgi.parse or
cgi.FieldStorage, although you may need to provide other data to those
things in order to simulate the CGI environment properly.

An alternative is to use WebStack's BaseHTTPRequestHandler support:

http://www.python.org/pypi/WebStack

Paul