Getting externally-facing IP address?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Fri Nov 10 13:59:39 EST 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Every programming example that I have seen thus far shows simple
> server code and how to bind to a socket--however, every example binds
> to the localhost address.  What I am wondering is this:  Is there a
> clean way to get the networked IP address of the machine the code is
> running on?  For example, my laptop's IP address is 192.168.0.101, and
> I want to bind a server to that address.  Is there a clean way of
> doing so that will work, for example, when I move the code to my
> server (which obviously doesn't have the same IP address)?
Another way would be this:

1. connect to a server using a TCP socket (for example, google.com or
anything else that goes through your desired interface)
2. after connection, read the IP address (client address) from the
socket object

IMHO if you wish to operate a server, you should either bind to all IP
addresses, or know your "real" IP address.

   Laszlo