non blocking "i o", The deep freeze.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Nov 23 09:34:01 EST 2006

guy.flowers at Machineworks.com wrote:

> The whole thing works pretty well, a part from every so offen completely
> randomly the 3 machines seem to freeze (or to put in the terms of our sys
> admin it trashes them).

thrashing?

that usually means that a process uses too much memory, thus causing the
system to spend too much time swapping to be able to do anything useful.

have you checked the process size during normal operations?  is it stable, or
does it grow a little all the time?

> According to the sys admin I need to be using, non blocking "i o" for
> my file control

if the problem is thrashing, I'm not sure I see how that would help.

</F>