matplotlib and zope

markacy markacy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 09:27:20 EST 2006

Hello All,

  I've been using zope and matplotlib for some time now, and I want to
connect them. I'am using the example code from page:
http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Matplotlib_and_Zope ,
but whenever I try to import matplotlib, and/or pylab packages i get
this error from zope:

Error Type: RuntimeError
Error Value: '/' is not a writable dir; you must set environment
variable HOME to be a writable dir

Have You got any ideas, on what might go wrong?
Is it a problem with matplotlib itself? Have anyone had the same issue?

 I'am using matplotlib 0.87.4, and zope 2.9.5 with python 2.4.3 on
gentoo linux box.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marek Szczypinski

Here is the traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 59, in
manage_addExternalMethod
  Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 111, in __init__
  Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 134, in
manage_edit
  Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 141, in
getFunction
  Module App.Extensions, line 148, in getObject
   - __traceback_info__:
('/var/lib/zope/zope-markacy/Extensions/mpl.py', 'mpl')
  Module /var/lib/zope/zope-markacy/Extensions/mpl.py, line 1, in ?
  Module None, line 1011, in ?
  Module None, line 968, in rc_params
  Module None, line 914, in matplotlib_fname
  Module None, line 273, in wrapper
  Module None, line 324, in _get_configdir
RuntimeError: '/' is not a writable dir; you must set environment
variable HOME to be a writable dir