extremely slow array indexing?

Grace Fang fang.fang2003 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:13:04 EST 2006

Hi will,Thanks for your reply. The simplified code is as follows, and
you can run it if you like. It takes 7 seconds to process 1000 rows,
which is tolerable, but I wonder why it takes so long, because I also
did one for loop through all of the same rows without accessing array,
which only takes 1 sec to process 1000 rows.  Isn't vectorized
operation supposed to run very quickly?

from numpy import *
componentcount = 300000
currSum = zeros(componentcount)
row = zeros(componentcount) #current row
rowcount = 50000
for i in range(1,rowcount):
    row[:] = 1
    currSum = currSum + row;