Wrapping A Shell

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Tue Nov 28 14:13:25 EST 2006

I'm not sure if this is really the right place to ask this question, but
since the implementation is in Python, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I want to "wrap" a shell process using popen inside of python program
rather than creating a new shell process for each line I process in the
app. For example, the code might look like:

	std = stdin, stdout, stderr = os.popen3("bash")

	print >> stdin, "ls"

	print stdout.readline()

However, it appears my understanding of popen (or perhaps buffered IO)
is off somewhere, because this certainly doesn't work anything like I
expect it to (it hangs on stdout.readline).

Obviously the example above is very contrived, but eventually I'll be
using this in an OpenGL "terminal" widget. Am I approaching this the
wrong way?