Heap Memory

Gregory Piñero gregpinero at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 11:56:57 EST 2006

On 11/17/06, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>         The default configuration for WinXP is 2GB shared OS, and 2GB
> process... I believe there is some registry setting that can change that
> to 1GB/3GB.

I did some research and it looks like it does apply to XP
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721#)

However it does say:
A program must be designed to take advantage of the additional memory
address space.

I don't know what that means.  However this blog comment
(http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/08/05/208908.aspx#209332)
suggests:
Just flipping /3GB isn't enough for most programs. It has the effect
on the kernel, true, but unless your process's executable has the
Large Address Space Aware flag set, Windows won't actually give you
the full 3GB space. Link your executable with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE or
use EDITBIN. ...

Is this something that has to be done when building Python, was it
already done by default,  or can my Python script affect this somehow?
 I'd like to use the /3GB switch if possible.

Finally a side question:
How does Python use memory on a 64 bit OS?  Is there a lot more
available to it by default?

-Greg