The Python Papers Edition One

Paul Rubin http
Wed Nov 22 23:35:30 EST 2006

"tleeuwenburg at gmail.com" <tleeuwenburg at gmail.com> writes:
> Some of you may have noticed the launch of the Python Journal a while
> back. Due to artistic differences, the journal has now been re-launched
> as The Python Papers. It is available under a Creative Commons License,
> something we felt was appropriate given its nature. Many here commented
> that this was important to them, and it is important to us also.

But it looks like it's a noncommercial-use-only license, making it
impermissible to re-use the article contents in, say, expanding the
Python documentation.

    2.) Is it free?
    A) Yes, as in beer and as in freedom. Creative Commons 2.5
    Noncommercial, attribution, share-alike.

Free as in beer, certainly yes.  However, the noncommercial
restriction prevents it from being free as in freedom, according to
the folks who first drew the distinction:

    You may have paid money to get copies of free software, or you may
    have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your
    copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software,
    even to sell copies.

    Free software does not mean non-commercial. A free program must be
    available for commercial use, commercial development, and commercial
    distribution. Commercial development of free software is no longer
    unusual; such free commercial software is very important.