Character Encodings and display of strings

JKPeck JKPeck at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 12:51:50 EST 2006

It seemed to me that this sentence

For many types, this function makes an attempt to return a string that
would yield an object with the same value when passed to eval().

might mean that the encoding setting of the source file might influence
how repr represented the contents of the string.  Nothing to do with
Unicode.  If a source file could have a declared encoding of, say,
cp932 via the # coding comment, I thought there was a chance that eval
would respond to that, too.