Fredrik Lundh [was "Re: explicit self revisited"]

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Sun Nov 12 12:12:53 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 23:14 -0800, Doug wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > Doug wrote:

> >> That site is a bunch of FUD -
> >> The explicit self is there simply because OOP was tacked onto python as
> >> an afterthought.
> >> Why not just be honest about it.  It's too late to change Python's
> >> syntax.  It just means a little extra typing.  If it really bothers
> >> someone, use "s" instead of "self" or else use Ruby.
> >
> > the official FAQ is a bunch of FUD?  are you sure you know what FUD means?
> >
> > </F>
>
> You idiot. Putting the word "official" in front of something doesn't
> mean it can't be FUD.

Fredrik doesn't have to prove that the official FAQ isn't FUD. You,
Doug, have to prove that it is, because you accused it of being FUD.

By your logic, I can prove that you are a piece of cheddar cheese. I
will simply assert that you are a piece of cheddar cheese. You might
respond by making a surprisingly lucid (for a piece of cheddar) argument
that you are a sentient being. To this I will respond "You idiot,
proving that you are a sentient being doesn't mean you can't be a piece
of cheddar." QED.

Since you are too lazy to post the wikipedia link, please allow me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt

According to that definition, FUD is "a sales or marketing strategy of
disseminating negative (and vague) information on a competitor's
product."

Even if the FAQ could, by a stretch of the imagination, be considered a
sales or marketing strategy, you'd be hard-pressed to find evidence of
it disseminating negative information on a competitor's product. Hence,
it's not FUD.

-Carsten