PIL: match for ImageMagick's display -ping

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 7 03:13:38 EST 2006

Hallöchen!

I have to extract the dimensions of many bitmap files.  An old Bash
script did it with ImageMagick's "display -ping ...".  "-ping" means
that it extracts the image dimensions efficiently.  I suspect it
simply doesn't read the image itself.

Now the Bash script has been transformed into Python+PIL.  Is there
a way to get the dimensions equally efficient here, or does the PIL
even do this optimisation implicitly since I never access the image
bitmap itself? ceter

Thank you!

Tschö,
Torsten.