a -very- case sensitive search

Sat Nov 25 18:16:02 EST 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:39:55 -0800, Ola K wrote:

> Hi,
> I am pretty new to Python and I want to make a script that will search
> for the following options:
> 1) words made of uppercase characters -only- (like "YES")
> 2) words made of lowercase character -only- (like "yes")
> 3) and words with only the first letter capitalized (like "Yes")
> * and I need to do all these considering the fact that not all letters
> are indeed English letters.
>
> I went through different documention section but couldn't find a right
> condition, function or method for it.

At the command prompt:

>>> dir('')
# result edited for clarity
[ ... 'isalnum', 'isalpha', 'isdigit', 'islower',
'isspace', 'istitle', 'isupper',  ... ]

Then do this:

>>> help(''.islower)

and read the text it provides. Then experiment on the command line:

>>> 'abcd1234'.islower()
True
>>> 'aBcd1234'.islower()
False

Then come back to us if they aren't suitable, and tell us WHY they aren't
suitable.

--
Steven.