profanity on comp.lang.python (was Re: Pyro stability)

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Nov 8 15:56:08 EST 2006

    Carl> You are comparing interviews to usenet.  I somehow see a
    Carl> disconnect.  I don't think many people are going to go to a
    Carl> potential employer and say "hey fuck face, how the fuck are ya?"
    Carl> Although you mentioned impressing people etc, is it really
    Carl> important to impress people here by watching your P's and Q's?
    Carl> What impresses me here is someone's command of the language, I
    Carl> could really give a rats ass how they choose to disseminate their
    Carl> expertise.

If recent news reports are to be believed (*) it would appear that companies
are starting to check out prospective employees online.  Granted, most of
the stuff I've seen or heard relates to use of social networking sites like
Facebook and MySpace, but I'm sure savvy employers looking for programming
expertise would know to check out Usenet newsgroups and/or relevant mailing
lists.  Anything you post is fair game though.  Also, "command of the
language" can extend to the spoken/written word.

Skip

(*) http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/us/11recruit.html?ei=5090&en=ddfbe1e3b386090b&ex=1307678400