synching with os.walk()

Andre Meyer meyer at acm.org
Fri Nov 24 12:05:30 EST 2006

What I forgot to mention is that I want this to run unmodified from both
Windows and Linux (and Mac). Otherwise, there are enough options to choose
from, besides developing it myself, I guess.

On 24 Nov 2006 08:37:13 -0800, Paddy <paddy3118 at netscape.net> wrote:

> Paddy wrote:
>
> > Andre Meyer wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > os.walk() is a nice generator for performing actions on all files in a
> > > directory and subdirectories. However, how can one use os.walk() for
> walking
> > > through two hierarchies at once? I want to synchronise two directories
> (just
> > > backup for now), but cannot see how I can traverse a second one. I do
> this
> > > now with os.listdir() recursively, which works fine, but I am afraid
> that
> > > recursion can become inefficient for large hierarchies.
> > >
> > > thanks for your help
> > > André
> >
> > Walk each tree individually gathering file names relative to the head
> > of the tree and modification data.
> >
> > compare the two sets of data to generate:
> >  1. A list of what needs to be copied from the original to the copy.
> >  2. A list of what needs to be copied from the copy to the original
> >
> > Do the copying.
> >
> > |You might want to show the user what needs to be done and give them
> > the option of aborting after generating the copy lists.
> >
> > - Paddy.
> P.S. If you are on a Unix type system you can use tar to do the copying
> as you can easily compress the data if it needs to go over a sow link,
> and tar will take care of creating any needed directories in the
> destination if you create new directories as well as new files.
> - Paddy.
>
> --

Dr. Andre P. Meyer                        http://python.openspace.nl/meyer
TNO Defence, Security and Safety          http://www.tno.nl/
Delft Cooperation on Intelligent Systems  http://www.decis.nl/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't
previously aware of. - Douglas Adams