Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Mon Nov 13 13:07:28 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, the FAQ answer seems to be a weak argument to me.
>>
>> I agree. I was expecting something more technical to justify the
>> colon, not just that it looks better.
>
> yeah, the whole idea of treating programming languages as an interface
> between people and computers is really lame.  no wonder nobody's using
> Python for anything.
>
> </F>

personally, i don't mind the colon and see no need to lose it, but if we
are talking in the realm of aesthetics, it actually seems like it would
be cleaner if it weren't there...sure, at first everyone who is used to
it might feel like something is missing, or the line is "hanging" open,
but overall the less characters, the better, right? isn't that why the
braces are gone?