Tkinter Listbox string formatting question - how to kill a dancing snake ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 31 03:30:56 EST 2006

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

> Is there a way to format this so it will line up with  *any*  font ?
>
> I would prefer not to give up and use a fixed width font - it looks so
> teletypish...

sounds like contradicting requirements to me.

instead of trying to force the listbox to behave like a multicolumn
widget, maybe you could switch to another widget?  some alternatives include

     a Text widget (you have to roll your own selection logic)
     bwidgets multicolumn ListBox:
         http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/bwidget/
     tktable:
         http://tktable.sourceforge.net/
     something based on the wck (that's what I'd would use myself):
         http://effbot.org/zone/wck-4.htm
     and perhaps there's something in Pmw:
         http://pmw.sourceforge.net
</F>