Starting out.

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Fri Oct 13 00:46:55 EDT 2006

Ahmer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am a 15 year old High School Sophomore. I would like to start
> programming in Python. In school, we are learning Java (5) and I like
> to use the Eclipse IDE, I also am learning PHP as well.
>
> What are some ways to get started (books, sites, etc.)? I am usually on
> linux, but I have a windows box and am planning on getting a mac.

Pydev gives you a Python mode for Eclipse:
  http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
The Python tutorial is a good way to learn Python:
  http://docs.python.org/tut/
Some pointers on writing Python for Java programmers:
  http://www.ferg.org/projects/python_java_side-by-side.html
I guess you are new to both Java and Python, but if you know Java and
were starting Python, the following points out that certain idioms of
Java do not translate well to Python:
  http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

And finally: Lets 'big-up' Python:
  http://www.paulgraham.com/pypar.html

I hope you enjoy Python.
All the best,  Paddy.

P.S. maybe your High school might be interested in teaching Python as a
first language rather than Java?
  http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/frank/elkner_0300.html

http://www.python.org/workshops/2000-01/proceedings/papers/elkner/pyYHS.html