Where is Python in the scheme of things?

gord gord at no_spaming.com
Wed Oct 4 16:21:21 EDT 2006

As a complete novice in the study of Python, I am asking myself where this
language is superior or better suited than others. For example, all I see in
the tutorials are lots of examples of list processing, arithmetic
calculations - all in a DOS-like environment.

What is particularly disappointing is the absence of a Windows IDE,
components and an event driven paradigm. How does Python stand relative to
the big 3, namely Visual C++, Visual Basic and Delphi? I realize that these
programming packages are quite expensive now while Python is free (at least
for the package I am using - ActivePython).

Please discuss where Python shines.
Gord