implementation of "in" that returns the object.

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Oct 23 11:02:19 EDT 2006

Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas at gmail.com> wrote:
>I need to check if an object is in a list AND keep a reference to the
>object I have done it this way but is there a better one?

>...     for i in listObj:
>...             if i is value:
>...                     return value
>...     return False

try:
    obj = listObj[listObj.index(value)]
    # do something with obj
except ValueError:
    # do whatever you're going to do if inplusplus returns False

Assuming you meant "if i == value" (as others have pointed out).

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"