SOAPpy and callback

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Oct 13 21:05:29 EDT 2006

> I like your term "standard-wise".  Although there is nothing in the SOAP
> "standard" that prevents this architecture, it is probably open for
> discussion whether it is "wise."

Might stem from "standardweise", the german word for something that is
part of a standard, or e.g. something always having this or that feature.

> As it happens, the client and server *don't* share the same process space -
> they don't even share the same computer.
>
> And it *does* work, I'm running the software on a couple of systems in my
> office right now.

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here. I'm not a native speaker, so bear
  with me.

In CORBA or RMI, there is a notion of an object/interface reference
passed around, which allows for callbacks in a natural way. Which is
AFAIK not the case in SOAP. Hell, they don't even know objects and
stateful connections...

That you obviously can define a system that needs several SOAP servers
to interact with each other - well, you could also perform inter process
communication using printed documents, some horses and either OCR or
data typists. But this isn't exactly inter process communication in my
book, albeit there certainly _are_ processes, _and_ communication :)

Diez