Everything is a distributed object

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Oct 10 04:48:12 EDT 2006

Martin Drautzburg schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I've seen various attempts to add distributed computing capabilities on top
> of an existing language. For a true distributed system I would expect it to
> be possible to instantiate objects of a remote class or to subclass a
> remote class and other stuff like this. My impression is that those things
> are difficult when built on top of an existing language.
>
> Since the paradigm "everything is an object" pays so well, I thought it
> might be less painful to implement a distributed system from ground up,
> starting with the paradigm: "everything is a distributed object".
>
> Do you know if such a thing has been attempted with python, i.e. by hacking
> the python core and add new capabilities to "object". Or do you think that
> this is really a silly idea ?

Pyro is pretty neat in that respect. And besides that, I think it is a
rather silly idea. In such an environment, immediately issues about
concurrency, connection failures and sychronous/asynchronous execution
arise, adding tremendously to the complexity of even the simplest of
tasks. And thus should be kept out of those simple tasks...

A natural integration of concurrency as in erlang, or with pyro, is a
good thing(tm), but not as base principle, IMHO.

Diez